Instructions for Drawing a Site Plan Sketch of Your Property
by Nancy C. Canestaro, D.Arch.
Key Property Features for Map Dowsing; Sketching your Property
- Draw the overall shape of your property, using most of the grid (see the printable PDF attachment).
- Draw the footprint (outside walls) of your home in the approximate location and scale to the property drawing.
- Indicate streets, driveways, parking, and fences (or other boundary markers).
- Add the North directional arrow to indicate orientation on the map.
- Add any important features on the land…large trees, flowing water, boulders, slopes, etc.
- Indicate anything on the property or in the neighborhood that is unsightly or out of context.
- Divide the property into front (building to street), back (to back of property), left and right sides.
Download and Print the PDF version of this article…Instructions for Drawing a Site Plan Sketch of Your Property